Spring is the perfect time to freshen up your home. This not only means dwelling spring cleaning, but also home maintenance. After a long winter, many home items can need upkeep or repair. So get your gloves prepared and check these home maintenance tasks for spring.
- Change the air conditioner filter at least once every month. This puts less stress on the device and allows it to work at maximum efficiency. Choose a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter which traps microscopic particles such as mold, pollen, and dust. To replace the filter, turn off the unit, remove the old filter, then put the new filter in after the directions are written on its packaging. Do not forget to also have your AC unit serviced before summer starts.
- Maintain gutters and downspouts clean and in good shape to prevent family water damage. To begin with, remove debris out of the gutters with your hands along with even a garden trowel. Then use a garden hose to wash any residual gunk away. Other things that you ought to fix are leaky gutters and gutter escapes. Next, concentrate on the downspouts — check for clogs by inserting a garden hose in each of them. In case of a clog, remove it using a plumber’s drain snake.
- Assess for creature damage as cold weather may drive animals such as squirrels, rats, raccoons, and opossums to locate shelter in your dwelling. They do all types of damage to enter your attic, basement or backyard shed. Look for signs of chewing gum on exterior valves, wiring, and building materials. To prevent these critters from entering your house, make sure to seal any entrance points and cover attic vents using strong materials. Additionally, trim the trees around your home.
- Wash your garage. Type out the items on your garage into matters to keep, to give away or sell, and to throw away or recycle. Pressure wash the ground then seal or seal it, and paint the walls too. Save storage space by installing hanging racks, storage shelves, and ropes or pulleys.
- Clean your fireplace. Give your wood-burning fireplace a makeover at the start of spring. Remove any ash and charred logs using fireplace tools, then clean out the fireplace surround. Once the fireplace is clean, cover the area around it with a tarp. Do not clean yourself — leave that to a professional chimney sweep.
- Check door and window screens. When it gets warmer out, it is crucial to prevent pests from entering your home. As a consequence, you should check for holes in the window and door displays. Patch holes that are bigger than the size of a quarter. Additionally ensure displays are firmly fastened, lubricate door hinges, and replace broken hardware.
During spring, remain vigilant of thunderstorms and floods. Discover how to prevent spring flooding and how to prepare for spring storms. For flood cleanup, water damage repair, mold remediation, and disaster restoration service, contact your regional PuroClean office.